HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - longest shot with 300 win mag
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 08:55 AM
redgreen
Nontypical Buck

The biggest drawback with the heavy magnums is that some folks that have them think that they can shoot into the next time zone and be effective. Too many variables. The cartridge may be more than capable to make the shot, but, is the shooter? The rifle may not be consistant enough to make the shot reliably. The 5 shots a year at the range shooter does not have the range time or experience to consider stretching the shot to the max. I have ran across many that tried and failed at a living creature, and then I put it down and shake my head and walk away. There are an elite few on this forum that have the ability to stretch the shot and with success. I have taken elk and deer at extreme ranges, and will not post yardages because I do not want to start a pissing contest. The only way that a person should even consider a hail Mary shot is if they have shot at extreme range target and are fully competent in their ability to make a solid hit on a living creature. That being said, I shoot paper out to 800 yards regularly and gophers and yotes at a loooooooooong ways away. BTW, my mule buck on the wall was lasered at 650 yards and I cut the heart in half.