HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Record Books....who cares?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2002, 10:18 AM
Tazman
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Record Books....who cares?

Well I doubt I would ever get one put in the books unless it was a world record, which I doubt I will get in Va. I hunt for the hunt and the meat, do not get me wrong I will definantly choose a big buck over a lesser buck, and I do scout for big bucks and have got a few (Nothing like cardeers dinks), but I eat what I shoot and I have not figured out how to eat antlers. I do appreciate P&Y scoring system because it does allow you to appreciate the size of a rack, but other than that I could take it or leave it.

I enjoy venison to much to let every deer I see that is not a monster walk, hunting is not about "I got the biggest" nor is it about "I got the most". Hunting to me is the same as it was for all of my family, the hunt and the venison. I really have never understood what the big deal is about "I got the biggest". Hunting is not a competition among people! Hunting is a competition between you and the deer.

Folks who strictly trophy hunt to me are not hunters, they are competitors, they hold their noses in the air and say things like "I won't shoot anything less than a 170+". Some how they have it in their heads that hunting is a competition among men, which is a disgrace to the deer.

To me every deer is a trophy! Be it a buck or doe, a 4 point or a ten. Do not get me wrong I would be excited and would certainly let people I know, know that I killed a monster buck, but to kill a deer just to win a contest or get it in the books, that to me is not what hunting is about. That is competition.

The Tazman