HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Young one missed...
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 06:10 AM
OFDOlson_173
Spike

Default Young one missed...

Just talked to my bestfriend that I hunt with. He took out his little cousin last night, got on stand around 3 pm in Southern Wisconsin. Started to see some does right away and a couple smaller buck. About 1 hour to dark they had a 140 inch 8 pointer come in that was on the kill list this year. He was eating along the way and they were setup with a decoy (small buck). So my buddy grunted when he was about 100 yards out because dark was comin to fast. Deer lowered his head and started to b line right at hime. Came in to about 40 yards, stopped for a bit, then started to slowly move in downwind. They cought him at a broadside shot at 20 yards. His little cousin completely missed I guess.... of course the little guy was upset.

My buddy and I talked we are each 21 years old and take the little guys out as much as possible but towards the rut we get some hunting time on our own were we go into some of our best stands. We dont like to be selfish but its the way it works out.

Heres the question... our goal like i said is to get them out as much as possible, get them hooked (which we have already). We practice shooting with them day after day but they cannot be consistant and we would hate to see them wound a deer (especially a big one). Is there anything you can do or say to them because they are truely not ready yet with out turning them off (bowhunting anyways?)

The reason we are asking is because we dont have kids, its new to us and not sure if we can change anything around to make a win win situation.

Mike