HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rileys 1st deer
Thread: Rileys 1st deer
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 AM
gjersy
Nontypical Buck

Default Rileys 1st deer

My 10 year old got his 1st deer 2 weeks ago today, during the WI youth hunt, he's a happy lad & i'm a happy dad. We hunted on my bud Les's land in his dad's (Bob) stand. Bob died of cancer this spring, he would've been happy for Riley. Bob was a tall guy and Rileys a little short for his age, and after getting in the stand we realized he couldn't shoot over the walls, so I came up with the plan for him to stand on the bucket and lean on me. Soon Riley whispered "dad theres a doe!" So he stood on the bucket I gave him the .308 he sat on my shoulder and was shaking a little with buck fever, I was telling him 2 take his time, then BAM! It dropped like a sack o spuds, he wanted 2 run down there, I said no as I chambered another round and told him to put the cross-hairs on it for a bit. I got a text as he was aiming that his cousin jeff just got his 1st deer, i told Riley and he said " I knew we'd both get one, cause I prayed about it" LOL. As we walked up to it we realized it was a 3 point buck. I was relieved he got one, because I took my older boy Ricky on the youth hunt for the last 2 years and even though he had many, many easy shots at deer, including a couple nice bucks, he wouldn't pull the trigger! So I watched the deer walk away, sometimes run as Ricky and I were arguing about his not shooting lol. Anyway this youth hunt is a good thing for kids, it gives them a warmer easier hunt then in the Nov regular season.