Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rileys 1st deer

Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rileys 1st deer

My 10 year old got his 1st deer 2 weeks ago today, during the WI youth hunt, he's a happy lad & i'm a happy dad. We hunted on my bud Les's land in his dad's (Bob) stand. Bob died of cancer this spring, he would've been happy for Riley. Bob was a tall guy and Rileys a little short for his age, and after getting in the stand we realized he couldn't shoot over the walls, so I came up with the plan for him to stand on the bucket and lean on me. Soon Riley whispered "dad theres a doe!" So he stood on the bucket I gave him the .308 he sat on my shoulder and was shaking a little with buck fever, I was telling him 2 take his time, then BAM! It dropped like a sack o spuds, he wanted 2 run down there, I said no as I chambered another round and told him to put the cross-hairs on it for a bit. I got a text as he was aiming that his cousin jeff just got his 1st deer, i told Riley and he said " I knew we'd both get one, cause I prayed about it" LOL. As we walked up to it we realized it was a 3 point buck. I was relieved he got one, because I took my older boy Ricky on the youth hunt for the last 2 years and even though he had many, many easy shots at deer, including a couple nice bucks, he wouldn't pull the trigger! So I watched the deer walk away, sometimes run as Ricky and I were arguing about his not shooting lol. Anyway this youth hunt is a good thing for kids, it gives them a warmer easier hunt then in the Nov regular season.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

congrats on making memories!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome! I know when my son got his first, I couldn't have been happier if I had shot a 200" buck. Post some pics!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails Rileys 1st deer-riley-2.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, your right about that 1st deer being special! Forgot 2 mention he shot it threw the lungs and liver, couldn't believe that it dropped like a spine shot. Those .308's are an amazing round.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Spike

Awsome!! Great kill!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

congrats nice job!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's awesome.

I love hearing these stories. And yes the kids getting their first deer and even the ones after the first can be as good or better than getting your own.

Riley's deer looks pretty good size. I find making slim jim snack sticks make sit easy to share more than just the story and a picture with his friends. Who knows - if those friends like those slim jims we might just welcome another young hunter into out ranks.

I'm happy for you guys. And thanks for sharing.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats to him!!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the fine buck and table fare. I am sure your son will remember that hunt the rest of his life.