HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Bowhunting Basic Question
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
7MMXBOLT
Fork Horn

What we do is when we find bedding area's that are in the thickest most nastiest, snarliest brush like mountian larual, dogwood and so on, we will cut trials through the middle of it to where we want to set a stand. Make them a foot wider than shoulder width either side. Make it so when your walking it to get your stand your body won't come in contact with any branchs or bushes. This is so you won't leave any scent from your cloths or any part of your body. Clear the trails real good and rake them right down to the earth. I suggest you do this in the spring and let them get use to using them all summer. I often bait these trails before the season starts and put up camera's. Two weeks before the hunting season begins re-rake them again. During the beginning of the hunting season (September / October) before I walk in to my stands I like to spray the bottoms of my boots with Tinks Mock Scrap. Suppose to resemble Doe Pee, has a faint smell of Ammonia. When I know the ruts starting to kick in ( end of October thru mid-November) I spray Buck Bomb Doe in heat on the bottom of my boots. Both leave a slight scent trail to my stand. I also spray the Buck Bomb a few time (Not a lot) just a quick squirt on some of the bushes along the trail. This helps calm any Deer that might be nearby that may of heard me and are less likely to spook. Scent draggs work good too. These trails become a main run and are active all season. Buck's will scrape on them and rub tree's. I basically dictate where I want the deer to go because it's easy walking for them and they use them. My stands are set up just down wind of where I know they're bedding in an open area just outside of it near feeding. When bucks are seeking & chasing doe's these runs work to my advantage and then it's game over! That buck in my avitar is one many that fell victim to this. I harvest at least one nice buck every year and countless doe's.

Try it you'll be glad you did I promise!

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 10-04-2012 at 01:48 PM.