Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New to Bowhunting Basic Question >

New to Bowhunting Basic Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Bowhunting Basic Question

Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rather than using earth scent stuff, i take some sticks, pine cones, leaves...whatever from the area that I hunt and put them in a bag or tote with my clothes. It's free, and smells exactly like what they are used to smelling.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
Cover scents and scent control are key when hunting here in the Northeast as I'm sure it's the same elsewhere. I keep all my hunting cloths in zip lock bags even my snake boots. I don't even put them on until I get to where I'm going to be hunting. I keep scent-away dryer sheets (fresh earth) in the bags so the cloth absorb it in. Works better than using them in the dryer. A scent-away shower before I leave the house is a must. Truth is you can never get yourself 100% scent free but every little bit helps. Where I have so many stands I am able to pick the best one to sit in based on wind direction. I found this website called Scoutlook outdoor weather guide that helps me determine what the wind direction is at my stands on any given day. http://www.scoutlookweather.com/ It lets you personalize it with a scent cone map. I just check it before I leave. During the rut I use James Valley scents like "Full Draw Doe in Heat Urine, Lethal Weapon Estrus scent, and Extasy. These gel scents are the best I have ever used next to my own mixtures. http://www.jamesvalleycompany.com/pages/deerlures.html

I've been told I go a little over board but hey I like having action when I go hunting. I see plenty of deer all season and get at least one every year and usually 3-4. Not trying to brag but it is what it is, I love to hunt
Thanks for the advice - I'll check out those scents!