HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - reddots on a shotgun
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 04:37 PM
SecondChance
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kargo
Hey Gang,

I've got a bushnell red dot scope on my remington 870. In buying a muzzle loader I was told that red dots don't work so well because of the recoil, they tend to be knocked off requiring resighting. Is this true of shotguns as well? I've had trouble with it the last few years, it always seems to be off even though I take it to the range before hunting. I assumed it was due to user error with the gun rest the first year and different loads shot through it while sighting in the second (cheaper sabbots at the range and the good remington copper solids while hunting). Maybe it gets progressively off with the recoil...

Thoughts?

Don't have access to the gun right now and don't remember the exact model of red dot but it looks like this one (tactical red dot);
http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/rifl...ed-dot/1x-28mm
I have had a red dot sight on my wifes 11-87 Priemer 20ga for years with no problems. It is a Tasco PDP2. Stays on spot at 100yds without a question.
Something you said bothers me about this set-up though. You said you shoot the cheaper sabots during range time/sight in, then go to Copper Solids to hunt with. Do you shoot the Copper Solids to make sure they are hitting the same as the cheaper stuff? If not, why not?