HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bird dog choices
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 AM
jberre
Spike

I grew up with whatever $50 dog we could get from the newspaper and dogs that had some great training that neighbors have been trying to get rid of. In that time I have hunted with weimaraner, Vizsla, Labs, English pointer, German Short Hair (Several), Labradoodle, Pudelpointer, Irish Setter, English Setter, Brittany and Springer Spaniel and many mixes of all these. I loved all of these dogs and each one had it's benefit and downfall. My Dad and me have recently been introduced to the Drahthaar (about 4 year ago.) I do have to admit for an all around dog I love them. This is the first dog my kids are not scared around, they can be quite calm, but they also have the energy and drive to get out in the field all day. They truly are versatile as you can see by watching http://www.drahthaar-trulyversatile.com/video/.

Although they have been an ideal dog for me in many ways they are not for everyone. They have the get the neighbors cat instinct (which has been quite awkward at times) and tend to want to dominate other dogs. For my family and me it happens to be a pet the family can enjoy but also a great and talented hunting partner.

Good Luck!