HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - One pin for any distance?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 04:39 PM
CamoCop
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
To say that adjustable giths have no place in the hunting field is bordering on outright arrogance or lack of personal experience. I'd have to ask if you have ever spent any real amount of time (months) using one of them or better yet hunted with one to know what they are all about.

I've bowhunted for almost 40 years and used both type of sights. Add a few of the early pendulums to that as well. They all have their place in bowhunting or so many wouldn't be using them.

For most hardwoods hunting with most of today's bows there is very little need of multiple pin sights. Nationwide the average deer is shot at 18 to 22 yards, a statistic that hasn't changed much since I began bowhunting. To that end the vast majority of shots can be done with a single pin sight. Whether it be a multipin sight with all but one removed or an adjustable sight set for a specific yardage is irrelevant.

I've done a lot of testing and practiced what I learned and the fact is any bow shooting about 260 fps or above can be used with a single pin set for 25 yards to cover distances almost 0 to 30 yards with little or no holdover on deer sized game. The high point of the arc will be just about 2" at 18 yards and there will be 3" of drop at 30 yards. Hold the middle of the vitals and shoot. The only thing to be determined is whether the deer is within 30 yards. It's so simple even a cave man could do it No range finder needed..

As with anything in this shooting sport if done over and over for a long period of time things become automatic, just like establishing good shooting form and/or anchor points.

What about older gents like me? I used to shoot multipin sights, but with older eyes and the need of reading glasses those pins are blurry. So blurry that they look like one long multicolored line instead of individual pins. Single pin works OK, even though I have to use a smaller peep and the last few years a Specialty peep with Verifier.

The moveable sight allows me to practice at whatever distances I desire and then set it for that 25 yards for hunting. You know, there are those of us who shoot at times other than hunting season. Fact is I shoot almost daily. But I guess guys like me shouldn't be allowed to hunt because our bow sight has no place in the hunting woods.

which is why i stated my comment was my opinion (imo). if you like single sliders and guessing shots (holding over and under) more power to you, i don't like guessing. i have used a slider many years ago and i hated it for hunting. the reason they are popular these days is because paid hunters like Lee and Tiffany use them. when celeb's get payed to push products, others will follow suit. i can't tell you how many threads i have seen on other forums where hunters/shooters are trying to find out what equipment certain celeb's use. almost as if they will instantly become a better shooter if they have the new Spott Hogg Pimp Daddy Single Slider that Lee Lakowski was using last week....rofl. WHO CARES! try out what you want and see if it works for you. the sliders didn't work for me 20 years ago when i tried them in hunting situations. i shoot with 4 pins (30, 40, 50 and 60 yard pins) and prefer this set up. like i said, In My Opinion, sliders are not good for hunting...can they be used, yes. if you like them, then shoot them. when it comes to bow hunting, simple is better because bow hunters are already behind the 8 ball with variables. good hunting and have fun!