HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - One pin for any distance?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

My expereince is much like BGfisher's. I started bow hunting deer in earnest back in 1962. Due to a tough shoulder injury in 2009, I now am a "Cross-Bow" hunter. Like many old dudes like me I started with a stick and over the past 30-40-50 years transitioned to a "high tech" compound. My last bow was a Mathews SQ2 set at about 65#, 29" draw sung matched carbon shafts and a 125 gr. Thunderghead.

I never measured the actual velocity of any set-up that I had. I loved shooting and practiced an insaane amount for years and years. I shot instuictive for decades. I started with a pin sight system probably around 1980. I found that multiple pin set ups were somewhat distracting and soon worked towards a single fixed pin. I hunt white tails and feral hogs in the SE USA. I hunt in the woods most of the time and from a tree stand of some sort ...usually 15-25 feet off the forest floor. "Clear" shots I will get will seldom exceed 45 yards.

I have stayed with a self imposed limit of about 40 yards max. since way back when. And frankly have taken maybe 6-10 shots past that length in nearly 50 years of bow hunting.

The SQ2 was plenty fast enough for me to easily manage a one pin (not adjustable) system. Just took my normal 3-4 days each week of practice to stay good to go. I cannot imagine how I could manage an adjustable type pin .... I guess that would have taken practice too. Usually by the time I spotted the deer slipping along, waited for a good angle and released ... I would have been hard pressed to make any adjustment other than to settle the pin in for the shot.

Then again I am an old dude and new fangled stuff don't come easy for me to try. Lord only knows how long it took me to switch from aluminum to carbon shafts !!! About as long as it did for me to switch from wooden to aluminum I reckon.