HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you prepare for the season?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Here's more fodder for you to consider: Chose a simple, durable broadhead. This is a personal thing ... I did not care for more than 3 pins. More pins than that were simply too "busy" for me. Work on form more often than you work on "long distance" shooting. Aim small = hit small. If you can find a 3-D course near by try it out. Will help you learn to judge distance. If you plan to hunt from an elevated position such as a ladder or climbing stand, practice as much as you can from an elevated position 15 feet +/- above your target. Buy a "deer" target. In my opinion using a deer form target will help you picture the correct shot placement .... when the time comes, you can put the arrow through the deer at the correct angle to slice through vitals, resulting in a clean kill. Don't lose sight of the fact that your "kill shot" will almost always be the first and usually only shot that you get. So from time to time, shot at your target "cold turkey" ... and just one time. And concentrate on making that single shot count !

Most of all, prepare yourself for frustration. You'll likely see many, many deer but have only a few shot opportunities each season. Take it all in and have fun. It won't last forever .... trust me on that.