HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Reduced Recoil Loads (Copper)
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Omega45
Typical Buck

Default Reduced Recoil Loads (Copper)

For Christmas my 11yr old son received a new .45 Encore Bergara barrel w/ QRBP and a LH TH laminated stock and forend from EA Brown. Also a Western Powders QRBP was bought for the barrel. Due to my work schedule of not being off much on weekends and also trying to avoid the weekend warriors at the range......... it had not been shot. I threw it on my frame since my TH is on the correct side for some shooting this morning. I wanted to find a nice easy recoiling load for him which is still accurate at 100yds. It took me a few more shots then I wanted to get on paper but the first 3 shot group with Barnes 155 TAC's was decent with 80gr BH209. This barrel is a little on the loose side so tan MMP's were used. I then switched to Barnes 195's in the tan MMP's and shot a 3 shot group. This is a very pleasant recoiling load that he should not be afraid to pull the trigger on.

Barnes 155 TAC's

Barnes 195's

Western Powders did a great job on these plugs. No blowback with Win209's. No o-ring no nothing.

After cleaning the barrel and plug I threw it back on his frame so its ready for him. School is out for him on Tuesday. Might get some shooting in later next week.

Either of the bullets shot should make a short tracking job if he can put one in the sweet spot.