Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Reduced Recoil Loads (Copper) >

Reduced Recoil Loads (Copper)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Reduced Recoil Loads (Copper)

Old 06-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default Reduced Recoil Loads (Copper)

For Christmas my 11yr old son received a new .45 Encore Bergara barrel w/ QRBP and a LH TH laminated stock and forend from EA Brown. Also a Western Powders QRBP was bought for the barrel. Due to my work schedule of not being off much on weekends and also trying to avoid the weekend warriors at the range......... it had not been shot. I threw it on my frame since my TH is on the correct side for some shooting this morning. I wanted to find a nice easy recoiling load for him which is still accurate at 100yds. It took me a few more shots then I wanted to get on paper but the first 3 shot group with Barnes 155 TAC's was decent with 80gr BH209. This barrel is a little on the loose side so tan MMP's were used. I then switched to Barnes 195's in the tan MMP's and shot a 3 shot group. This is a very pleasant recoiling load that he should not be afraid to pull the trigger on.

Barnes 155 TAC's

Barnes 195's

Western Powders did a great job on these plugs. No blowback with Win209's. No o-ring no nothing.

After cleaning the barrel and plug I threw it back on his frame so its ready for him. School is out for him on Tuesday. Might get some shooting in later next week.

Either of the bullets shot should make a short tracking job if he can put one in the sweet spot.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Some nice shooting and that should defintely do the job on a deer.

Don't you think you should of got your boy a....nevermind.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by chaded
Don't you think you should of got your boy a....nevermind.
Nope!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Very nice shooting and great looking gun.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems that should do the job for the boy. Is the OAL of the breech plug and primer, longer than the CVA plug with primer OAL?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Omega, would you please adopt me? Then maybe I could have a LH muzzy like that too.
Nice rifle and nice shooting. I'm sure your son will be pleased when he finally gets to shoot it.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
It seems that should do the job for the boy. Is the OAL of the breech plug and primer, longer than the CVA plug with primer OAL?
I will try to take some measurements later. I never used the stock plug that came with the gun to even snap any primers. I probably shot it a dozen times today and no misfires or hang fires. The powder pocket is quite deep.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

I do not have the correct instruments to measure the plugs accurately due to the head of the QRBP's. I also do not have a CVA Blackhorn plug to compare to the Western Powders plug. Looking at the stock QRBP beside Westerns it looks to be two different metals?? With primers inserted in both plugs they appear to sit flush with the end of the plug. My non QRBP's definitely had the primer pockets drilled too deep allowing the primers to be well below the end of the plug. I will try the stock plug next trip out and see how the spent primers look.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a great load for him.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Very nice shooting there. Looks like a good load to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.