HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New gun prices...
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 AM
fritz1
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
I know it is hard to swallow the prices, but actually I don't see how they make them so cheap. A few years back I was discussing the price of rifles with a co-worker (We were working as machinists) and if you look at all the different operations involved and everybody getting a cut it is amazing they are that cheap. The price of high quality steel is at an all time high, quality walnut is getting harder to come by, and the government regulations for pollution makes heat treating and bluing more expensive. The gun goes to a wholesaler, to a factory representitve dealer to a dealer. Everybody gets a cut. It probably cost s more to ship a gun than other products. I think the thing that put the large companies in trouble was lack of Government contracts for guns and parts.
There is only two ways to cut prices, use cheaper material or pay sub standard wages. That is why you see alot of these manufactors building guns or using parts from overseas, this covers both, cheap labor and lower quality materials.