HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pattern / # of hits question....
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
JW
Super Moderator

My aim point is in my Team 's Avatar and I still go by 8 to 12 pellets holes in that target only in the neck vertebrae and the skull that counts. That is how I determine my pattern and my distance. Have usd this for 25 years.

My gun's aim point is the Waddles - tha part where the feathers stop and the skin starts on a turkey's head. And that is the center of the bottom of my circular pattern. That way I know my whole pattern covers the head from the Waddles to the Snood!

Go ahead and shoot beer or soda cans. But I know where my pattern is with my round of choice.
And I strongly suggest that one use a form of Tru-Glo sights or a scope. With today's very tight turkey chokes it is far to easy to miss a bird. With sights such as I mentioned it forces the hunter to concentrate on correct linement of the front and rear sight to the target which stops head creep of making one sneak their cheek up off the stock.

But do like you want - all I know I missed a few birds and found out why. That has not happened now in over 23 yrs....

JW