HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pattern / # of hits question....
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 06:54 AM
gun870guy
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
Thanks for the info... I will try this for sure. Seems like the more I try to get things set up and tuned in, the more complicated it's getting. Pretty soon I know I'll be chasing the pattern around the paper. Take rabbit or pheasant hunting for instance.... I load up with some number 6's & go. I miss very few rabbits and they are running. Just saying... maybe I'm making this harder than it is.... Also, if I buy more shells I'm getting the $10 all lead turkey loads. I started with the copper-plated ones. My buddy who owns the property where I hunt walked right up within 20 feet of a whole flock of birds yesterday before they scattered. He said they didn't even act all that afraid of him. Granted.... he didn't have a gun in his hands!!! lol...
Well, I know I've watched this evolve since it became popular in the early 80's... gear gets more expensive every year and fads come and go, same as anything else... The pattern thing is a gimmick to sell stuff, does it work? Sure... I've killed turkeys with a modified choke and #7 shot.. I've probably shot more turkeys than most folks will see... get married up to a gun and shoot it, get a choke and some good shells and see how it patterns. If you can put 8-10 shots in a turkeys head/neck hes going down.