HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lazer bore sighter anyone have one??
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2003, 04:50 AM
Rodsmith
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lazer bore sighter anyone have one??

I just had an experience with a laser this past weekend. Purchased last year off ebay, checked the laser to make sure it worked and put it away (did not need) Pulled it out this year to bore site the new Aetec on the new 444 and all seemed to go well until I get to the sand pit (range) Clamped the rifle into the Site Vice and let a shot go....WOW.....8 feet right and 2 low at 50 yards! Thinking, this cant be so I removed from the vice and walked up to within 25 yds and shot again....3' wide and low. Packed everything up and back to the camp. I reinstalled the laser to find that it is way off, being the curious engineering type I rotated the laser 90 deg and watched as the red dot ran a 19" circle at 20' on my wall. Either the threaded post on the laser is off or the laser itself is not calibrated to the center of the bore stud. If you get one check it immediately on a gun that you know is zero. Put the laser in the bore and it should be fairly close to the cross hairs. They are a great tool and a huge time saver, if they are accurate. Once you have the gun range sited, put the laser back in and make a sketch (I use an actual target as to where the laser dot is when all is said and done. In the event of a fall or any jarring of the scope you now have a quick check to see if the scope will be out.