HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Could use some turkey help
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Timbrhuntr
Typical Buck

Welcome to the addiction. I learned all my turking hunting the hardway as nobody I know had any interest in turkeys when I started. Having said that there is only one thing I find interesting about the advise you get. Most say don't call too much or overcall. For the first few years I did just this with out much luck. One day i was on a field and saw a flock of birds out about 100 yds. At least 2 strutters. I did the usual light calling and they did the usual look my way a bit but thats all. I decided heck with it and started to call excitedly and constantly. Well to my suprise one hen and 2 of the toms broke off from the group and the hen came all the way down the field cutting and yelping bringing the toms with her. It was awesome. On another hunt I was in a woodlot and heard the tom gobbling then fly down. Once he gobbled on the ground I did a loud fly down cackle and then started to cutt. He came right in and started to strutt back and forth at about 25 yds. Gobbling like mad. Take this as any other info but I think if the birds don't actually see what is calling and identify you as hunter it doesn't always matter if you call alot and sometimes for me it helps. I call alot more now than I did when I started and get alot better responses. The only time I don't call to a bird is when its still up roosted before fly down. I learned that when I do this they always seem to go the other way.