Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Could use some turkey help >

Could use some turkey help

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Could use some turkey help

Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
don't overcall, setup is 90% of succesful turkey hunting, muffle the calls the last 50 yards, learn to cluck, the best calling in the world is useless if ya use the wrong call at the wrong time.
RR

Don't believe this Guy ! he's old and crusty and can not call anymore like he used to and only sits and waits and now believes he's doing it right

Old 01-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mw_Guerilla
this spring is also my first season turkey hunting. I already picked up some mouth calls, and to my surprise...I am actually getting the hang of it alot faster than I thought! I will be hunting in the middle and southern parts of Missouri. I have done a tone of research. Check out this site: http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/hunting/tips.htm also just search "Spring Turkey Hunting Tips (insert your state)" on Google. there should be a TON of stuff that helps you out. and just remember...proper planning prevents poor performance. get out there, scout, try calling a few birds in but don't put too much pressure on em.
Thanks for the link. I used to visit there and I lost all my computer info on a crash and forgot all about it.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on becoming a part of our cult. Your life will never be the same. Ask anyone here.... lol.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the addiction brother!
12ga is a good all a round gun but a 20ga will do well also
If your gun patterns well with this load try 4x6 shot, I find works well
I would start with a box call as they are easy to work
If you want to use a decoy a single hen has always worked well for me try not to get to fancy at first
Hardwoods next to a crop field and sit on the edge of the woods in about 10 feet I find this works the best but there are tons of ways to do it
As far as birds here in Ontario they are everywhere especially near a food source probably same where you are.
If you can see them roosting at night you are golden for the next morning!
Get in early at least a hour before sunrise about 100 yards away and hang on when you first strike that call at legal time the first response will hook ya forever!
It is the best feeling when ya hear the gobbles thundering back from the woods in the dark!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep us posted and join the contest all are welcome
Treebeard
Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the addiction. I learned all my turking hunting the hardway as nobody I know had any interest in turkeys when I started. Having said that there is only one thing I find interesting about the advise you get. Most say don't call too much or overcall. For the first few years I did just this with out much luck. One day i was on a field and saw a flock of birds out about 100 yds. At least 2 strutters. I did the usual light calling and they did the usual look my way a bit but thats all. I decided heck with it and started to call excitedly and constantly. Well to my suprise one hen and 2 of the toms broke off from the group and the hen came all the way down the field cutting and yelping bringing the toms with her. It was awesome. On another hunt I was in a woodlot and heard the tom gobbling then fly down. Once he gobbled on the ground I did a loud fly down cackle and then started to cutt. He came right in and started to strutt back and forth at about 25 yds. Gobbling like mad. Take this as any other info but I think if the birds don't actually see what is calling and identify you as hunter it doesn't always matter if you call alot and sometimes for me it helps. I call alot more now than I did when I started and get alot better responses. The only time I don't call to a bird is when its still up roosted before fly down. I learned that when I do this they always seem to go the other way.