HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wood or synthetic stock
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 04:45 AM
ADVWannabee
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
stainless and synthetic is in my future...
Same here. I have a blued blackpowder rifle that I have to worry about the powder corroding. I bought a TC Encore in stainless and I don't worry about the powder or water.

I have a Browning BAR .30-06 with a wood stock and blued barrel. It is the pretties gun I have but it is a working gun. It doesn't get to hang above the fireplace and look pretty. It has to go out in the field and earn it's keep. So it has some nicks and dings but I don't worry about it.

Now I did do something stupid with the Browning a couple years ago. I shot a deer right at dark, leaned the gun up against a tree, attached a drag rope, threw on my pack and headed out of the woods. I hung the deer and skinned and deboned it. Then I went to bed (I hunt at my house).

The next morning I get up and wonder where my gun is. In a fit of fear, I threw on my boots and ran out to the woods and there it was, leaned up against the tree. The worst part is we had an ice storm that night. So tore the gun down and cleaned and oiled it thoroughly. If it had been stainless steel, I would not have been stainless steel with a synthetic stock I would not have been as worried about it.