Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Wood or synthetic stock >

Wood or synthetic stock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wood or synthetic stock

Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Wood or synthetic stock

Now that I've decided to buy a Browning X-Bolt in a .270, do I want the Hunter or the Stalker? Most of my guns have wood stocks and no problems. My duck gun has a synthetic stock because of the water and mud associated with duck hunting. I like the feel of the wood. FYI, i did contact Remington Arms about a straight stock on the Model 700. Their response was, "we don't make one. Sorry".
Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure I'll ever own another wood stock... aside from some african big bores, 416, 458.

stainless and synthetic is in my future...

of course synthetic stocks vary greatly in quality/aesthetics if you ask me, as far as look, feel, etc...
Old 12-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

i really like wooden stocks. even though i have a synthetic. i know a lot of people who have wooden stock for years with no problems. If your afraid about dinging up the wood go with synthetic.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

A hunting rifle is a "tool" for me...............save the wood for furniture !

Wood is nice for some fancy rig that you take to the range for the boyz to gawk at. LOL

Tully - just so you know; when you talk about a "straight stock" it is referring to the area where you grip the rifle (with the right hand for "righties").

http://www.ehow.com/how_6822409_chan...lin-rifle.html

So, is that what you mean ?

Or, are you talking about where your cheek makes contact on the stock ?

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-13-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Spike

Sheridan,

By a straight stock, I mean that it does not have a raised cheek piece. My son has a Model 7 CDL that has a straight stock. Most shotguns have straight stocks.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tully,

"raised cheek piece" which is called a raised comb, looks like this (this one is ajustable).
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...3&tid=254&bg=x

Straight stock (also called English stock), looks like this.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...case-hardened/

See how the stock is "straight" from the bottom of the reciever to the bottom of the butt plate.

That's just FYI.........................I'm trying to help.

Okay, I'm done now !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

I love the look of wood stocks, and for years it's all I would buy. However, I've come to the realization that I like synthetic stocks on rifles that will see a lot of hard use. I prefer the synthetic over wood that's beat up with lots of finish worn off, which seems to be the case with most rifles I hunt with. If I'm buying something to just take to the range or keep as a safe queen though, I highly prefer wood.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm... Maybe I'm an "old school" type of guy. I prefer wood stocks on rifles and shotguns. There is just something unique about them and their feel and handling. Also, a wood gun should not be kept as a "safe queen" - unless of course, it's a prized ancient, Winchester .30-30 from around 1935 or something like that. Every ding, mark, scratch, etc... on a wood stock rifle or shotgun has a story behind it.

Synthetic? Eh, no thanks...
Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I use wood, for the simple reason they are not as cold on the hands as synthetics.
RR
I've heard this before and I always wonder, what do you mean?

just feel not as nice? ie like velvet vs sandpaper? personal taste/preference?

or do you mean physically colder/cooler on your hand? because when it's cold out I usually wear gloves...?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I much prefer wood stocks if given the choice. If sealed with the proper finish they are just as weather proof as a synthetic stock. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.