HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - End of the Season, Last Minute Buck
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

Default End of the Season, Last Minute Buck

After a Exceptionally Warm, Windy, Rainy Season we finally got some Much Needed SNOW on Friday Night. With only 2 Days left of our Regular Gun Season we were really Happy for the arrival of the Snow, I cant remember a Gun Season with No Snow as as Bad as this one has been.
My Wife got a Nice 9pt on Opening Day and I passed on a-lot of Big Does and smaller Bucks, even a Nice 8pt that I should have shot but I wanted one of the Bigger one's that I saw but offered No Shots.
After Opening Day the Deer about Vanished, I was thinking I should have taken a Big Doe or Two that I Passed on, on Opening Day. I did get a Big Doe on the first Wednsday of the Season. The Season went on with Rain, Warm Weather and Wind.
Like I said the Snow did come on Friday Night, on Saturday our Group got 5 Deer, 1 Buck and 4 Does, this left one more Day of our Regular Season. I HUnted this Morning in the Snow and it was Great, I saw some Deer but nothing Close enough. I went home and My Buddy, Me and His Nephew went to His Property that we Hunted on Opening Day where My Wife Connie got Her 9pt with Her MLer. I decided to Hunt My Wife Connie and My Stand that is Made for the Both of us overlooking the Swamp and the Tennesee Gas Pipeline, there was Fresh Tracks everywhere from this Morning.
It was going on almost 4:20 and I was thinking I was'nt going to fill My Buck Tag, there was only about 25 minutes of Legal Hunting time left in our Season, then I saw some Deer Comming...
4 Does came By, all Adult, I still had 2 Doe Tags left and was going to take one of them when I saw other Deer in the distance comming. I saw a Buck comming with other Deer behind Him.
I saw He was'nt the Biggest Buck but I did have anothe Buck Tag for our Late MLer Season that starts tomorrow, he had a few Does trailing Him. I put the Crosshairs on Him when he was Broadside at about 60yds and Mouth Bleated, He stopped. Out of the corner of My eye I saw one of the Big Does was looking at Me and was about to Blow and take all the Deer with Her, it was now or never, I Fired.
After the Smoke Cleared I saw the Does run off but no Buck, I quickly reloaded and got down out of the Stand and went to see what happened.
As I got closer I saw My Buck on the Ground, a Nice Little 5pt, He Dropped on the Spot, I looked at My Cell Phone and it was 4:28pm. There was only about 12 Minutes left of Legal Hunting time to our Season. I waited all Season But No Big Boy this Year, but I still have 9 Days of Late ML Season that starts tomorrow and a Buck Tag and 3 Does Tags left for that so I still have time.
All in all I was Pleased, and I got a last Minute Buck when the Season was'nt the Greatest of Hunting Seasons with our Weather.
I used My ACCURA V1 with a Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope and a 240gr XTP Mag with a HHP24 Harvester Sabot and a T7 Primer, the shot was about 60yds.
Pictured is the Buck as I found him with My ACCURA on Him, the next Pic is Me Holding My Cell Phone showing the Time, the next pic is My Buck Field Dressed with My ACCURA and My Lucky CVA Cap, the last pic is the 7 Deer our Group got in the last 2 Days of Hunting Season with SNOW! Oh and a Pic of My Wife Connies and My Tree Stand, you can see Her Empty Seat, Im sitting in Mine taking the Pic.
(BP)
Attached Images