Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
End of the Season, Last Minute Buck >

End of the Season, Last Minute Buck

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

End of the Season, Last Minute Buck

Old 12-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I dont usually take a small Buck but this Season was TOUGH! Like I said above I did pass on a Nice 8pt that My Buddy shot a few Minutes after I let Him Pass, but if you dont wait untill the end then you never know what could have happened. I'll do My Best to fill My Late ML Season Buck Tag with a Better one.
But our State has different Plans for our Next Hunting Season, I heard there only going to give out 1 Buck Tag and really Limit the Doe Tags. So say you take a Buck during Archery season, then you'll be Done for Gun and Late MLer Season, unless you still have a Doe Tag, that's a Big Change from how it is now.
Now we get a Doe and a Either Sex Tag that you can use for either Archery Season or Late ML Season. We also get a Buck Tag and up to 2 Doe Tags that we can use for our Gun Season. We can also use any of the Doe Tags for Archery Season also and during Late ML Season. Plus if our Regular Season Buck Tag goes Unfilled we can use that for our Late ML Season along with any Unfilled Doe Tags. Along with that we can also have up to 2 other Doe Tags Transferred to us from other Hunters. So say we get our Regular Season Buck Tag plus 2 Doe Tags, then we get our Late ML or Archery Season Tags that are for Either Sex and a Doe Tag, plus if we get 2 Doe Tags Transferred to us, alltogeather we can have 2 Buck Tags and 5 Doe Tags. If they change it we may end up with just 1 Buck Tag and 1 Doe Tag.
So I figured I better Fill some Tags this Season because you never know what'll happen Next Season.
(BP)
I think it was tough everywhere, this year. I am like you, I will pass on the small ones, waiting for a good one and have many times ate some tag soup. But, that is how the big boys come about. It is even tougher when your buddies or neighbors will shoot, what you pass on. Everyone need to be on the same page.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

Seemed to be a tough season all around. Perhaps the warm weather? Glad you were successful.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

congrats on the kill!!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats BP, glad you got one.

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I dont usually take a small Buck but this Season was TOUGH! Like I said above I did pass on a Nice 8pt that My Buddy shot a few Minutes after I let Him Pass, but if you dont wait untill the end then you never know what could have happened. I'll do My Best to fill My Late ML Season Buck Tag with a Better one.
But our State has different Plans for our Next Hunting Season, I heard there only going to give out 1 Buck Tag and really Limit the Doe Tags. So say you take a Buck during Archery season, then you'll be Done for Gun and Late MLer Season, unless you still have a Doe Tag, that's a Big Change from how it is now.
Now we get a Doe and a Either Sex Tag that you can use for either Archery Season or Late ML Season. We also get a Buck Tag and up to 2 Doe Tags that we can use for our Gun Season. We can also use any of the Doe Tags for Archery Season also and during Late ML Season. Plus if our Regular Season Buck Tag goes Unfilled we can use that for our Late ML Season along with any Unfilled Doe Tags. Along with that we can also have up to 2 other Doe Tags Transferred to us from other Hunters. So say we get our Regular Season Buck Tag plus 2 Doe Tags, then we get our Late ML or Archery Season Tags that are for Either Sex and a Doe Tag, plus if we get 2 Doe Tags Transferred to us, alltogeather we can have 2 Buck Tags and 5 Doe Tags. If they change it we may end up with just 1 Buck Tag and 1 Doe Tag.
So I figured I better Fill some Tags this Season because you never know what'll happen Next Season.
(BP)
I personally would have shot one of the does and let him go to grow. I feel like if the buck isn't good enough for me to take on the first day, he's not on the last day either. (not judging you, just putting in my .02 on letting bucks walk).

The upside to what you are saying they might do next year....it will dramatically scale up the size of the bucks across the board. I've never lived in an area with only 1 buck tag, but you see how those states play out. LOTS of big bucks running around. I actually wish they would do that where I hunt, or at least cut it down to 2 per year. Right now I can take 3 in VA, and 3 in WV....plus tons of does. Not that long ago I could take 6 bucks in WV. I rarely shoot more than 1 or 2 total per year in the two states combined, but I know there are alot of folks that go for their limit, just for bragging rights.

Good luck in your late m/l season!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good story Breechplug. I've had a few of those last minute kills myself. The old "Oh what a relief it is" commercial comes to mind.

You really ought to try playing around with Photobucket. Once you get the hang of it it's quick and easy to insert nice pictures into a post.