HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever Feel Like Crying #2
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 05:39 PM
niehenke
Fork Horn

Well, I am sorry for not posting sooner but I was in the woods. I searched everywhere for this beast and no luck. First one lost in 20 years. Everone has something to learn in this sport that is for sure. Here are the things that I learned:
1. At 40yds and 309fps, the deer has 0.4 seconds to react. Which could be enough to drop a few inches. Anything over 25 yds, I will not be alerting the deer.
2. Patience, patience, patience no matter how big. More than likely he would have circled me for a perfect shot. Way too excited and impatient.
3. Respect for the animal.
Anyway, I let the search go for a few hours on Sunday morning and took an 8 pt at 22 yds. He was facing me but I was fairly confident on what I could do with the arrow. It hit high in the neck and ended with the heart. He ran 60 yards. He is the humor in the story. I got down and did not find the arrow or any blood so I walked over to the site where I last saw him and a buck jumped up and ran over 200 yds in the field, stopped, turned, looked at me, and walked off into a thicket. Gave him 2 hours and searched for 3 hours. Thought about it over and over and realized that the buck that I saw run off had a light rack and did not appear to be hit. Went back to the same location and he was 5 feet from where I turned to look at the other buck running off in the distance. Good thing that deer did not stop because I am sure that I would have sent an arrow. Anyway, here is a good buck but isn't anywhere near the class that I started this thread with. Hope the big boy lives...
Attached Images