HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Camping Gear
Thread: Camping Gear
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Just because I wear pink slippers in my hunting shack does not mean I haven't done alot of camping.

I hunted for many years in CO for Elk and Mule Deer. We camped between 10,000 and 10,500 feet. And you are absolutely right. I have seen 3 feet of snow one year, and then 80* hunting the next year. So I understand your point.

We normally stayed anywhere from 8-14 days at a time. The first week for scouting and fishing, and the second week for hunting.

IMO I would not even consider a Geodesic type tent for a hunt.

We spent some money and bought a good quality, heavy duty canvas wall tent. And boy I am glad we did. I want a tent I can stand up and walk around in. Something with some real room. And I would not even consider camping at 10,000 feet without a camp wood stove inside the tent.

I can remember a few hunts where every single stitch of clothing we had was soaking wet. The hunts were miserable.

Then the next year we bought the wall tent. And we were hunting in 2 feet of snow. Al my clothes were nice and dry. Plenty of heat. Plenty of room in the tent. The hunt was a pure pleasure. Not a wet nightmare.

This is just an opinion. But I would not consider anything less than a good comfortable wall canvas tent with a stove. Tom.