HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your method for in-season scouting on public land
Old 11-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Gunplummer
Typical Buck

I usually don't go until the third or forth day. I just can't get out to hunt. However, I find that the end of the first week and the second week works really well for me. I walk around when the sun is really hitting the slopes and catch a lot of deer up and moving around 9:00 to 11:00. I then eat lunch and take a nap in the woods until about 2:00 and start moving again. It is easier to spot deer that are up and moving than bedded deer. Look hundreds of yards ahead of yourself , if they have been shot at the deer will watching that far to. It sounds lame but it works well for me. I don't really still hunt, but I am moving slow and stop a lot to look around. Once the leaves are down noise is not that relevant. Unless you are in really thick stuff the deer will see you long before they hear you. Walking around hunting is the best way to scout public land. All that pre-season scouting is wasted after 10:00 in the morning on the first day.

Last edited by Gunplummer; 11-10-2011 at 09:08 PM.