HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hello hunters! Total newbie here!
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Shotgunny
Spike

Default Hello hunters! Total newbie here!

Hey all,

I've been meaning to learn, or at least to try, deer hunting for a while and I'm finally going to take steps to do it. This weekend, I'm going to take the hunting education course required by my state. I'm already watching videos and reading the workbook issued by the state. All this so I can get a license.

I do not even have a long gun - yet. And this is where your expertise would be highly appreciated.

My state (New Jersey) has rifle/muzzleloader days and shotgun days. From what I understand, shotguns have far shorter ranges than rifles, right? Which would mean that shotgun hunting would be significantly more difficult than rifle hunting?

Also, in addition to a weapon, ammunition, winter clothing & boots, a stand, orange vest, a knife for dressing, what other gear will I need?

And lastly:

1. How easy/hard is it to learn how to dress a deer? I am not squeamish; the thought of opening up the body of a dead deer does not freak me out at all.
2. How easy/hard is it to "fillet" a deer's meat, after the outer skin & fur and organs have been disposed of?
3. As a beginner, should I expect a few outings where I will have no kills?

Thanks much!!!!