HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Logistical advice for a hunter new to climbing treestands?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM
JeffHoskins
Spike

I tie my bow to the bottom part of the stand that way I avoid bringing any extra rope. Same with a gun, just go slow and steady so it doesn't swing. The extra weight helps anchor the step as you move up. This may not be a good idea for an amateur though. I wear a fanny pack and hook it to the tree above me and take out anything important and put in pockets. Grunt, bullets, release, etc. This gets all the stuff out of your way. Hunting a stand usually implies limited shot range. For this reason I say skip the bow holder and lay it in your lap that way you can grab it and stand up fast with minimal movement. I take my quiver off and use the fanny pack to attach to the tree. Always bring a folding saw in case you want to switch trees on the fly or make new lanes. Dont forget a half empty bottle of water. If you gotta pee pour it out and fill it up. Scent management is critical when hunting a stand, always play the wind especially with a bow. Don't leave your stand anywhere where a cat can pee on it, that ruined several hunts for me last year until I baking soda soaked and washed it 3 times. Don't leave it hanging in the woods, squirrels rats coons will chew the straps and seats making it unsafe. It will also get wet.

This may just be me but I like to climb up the opposite side of the tree to where I think the deer will approach. This allows you to hide behind the tree when you stand up and draw your bow. It is harder but much more concealed. Experiment with it.

Most important thing to realize is basic physics, I say basic but to some people it is not so basic. Don't put all your weight on the edges or close to the tree. Best way to stand is on the end of the platform to apply most leverage gripping the tree. When I climb to full height, while gripping top platform I will jump and wiggle side to side causing the teeth to dig into the tree and seat it real well. This makes it MUCH safer. The more time you spend practicing where to stand and how to seat it into the tree at low heights the safer you will feel when standing awkwardly and taking that shot.

Good luck... -Jeff