HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Logistical advice for a hunter new to climbing treestands?
Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Packing my heavy outer clothing in is something I have done ever since I froze my butt off the first weekend I ever hunted due to the excessive sweat from climbing a mountain. Once I get to my stand spot, I’ll wait to cool off before putting on my heavy clothes but I don’t think waiting until I’m in the tree to dress is necessary. I have heard of some climbers requiring a workout to use, but the Viper SD I have takes almost no effort at all. I had also planned to get it set up the night before, and that’s what I’m going to do tonight (opening day for ML is tomorrow!!).

I just bought a few of those screw in tree hooks, so those should come in really handily. I already have a fanny pack and that’s what I was planning to use for my calls, etc. Seems like I will do OK. I’m just really nervous about screwing something up once I’m up there since I’m not used to it…i.e. clanking a rail, or having to take my coat off because it warmed up and causing too much movement, etc. But I’m sure it will be fine.

UpHunter - I am hoping that my stand site is so far in the woods that no-one will even care to come anywhere near it. I looked for signs of previously climbed trees, and saw nothing. This hollow seems so perfect to me and I am stoked about hunting it. Lake to the south bordered by hardwoods dropping major acorns, creek borders on each side of the hollow, and a bike trail to the north which provides another border. And lots of droppings when I found this place two weeks ago.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 11-04-2011 at 06:04 AM.