HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - German hunter in WI
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Tati
Spike

Hello!
Many thanks phishirman and Murdy for your replies and valuable infos. The longer I study the WDNR maps and after reading your replies I come to the conclusion that the north is in fact most suitable for us to gain our first hunting experiences in WI. It'll be a little bit of traveling, but then again we'll have to find a lodging place anyway - wether we stay in the south, the center or the north of WI.
So we might try and visit the Ashland-area (unit 6) and see what happens in the Chequamegon. But I think we'll have to get the topo maps and maybe a GPS - I'm not very keen on getting lost around there...

@phishirman: the same happens in Germany: many people prefer to take their stands which usually are not far away from the spot they park their vehicle and sit there for quite some time instead of moving around in search of game. Especially for wild boar my experience is that you are much more likely to be successful moving around and varying your stand taking into consideration terrain-, vegetation- and wind-changes throughout the seasons.
Thanks for the advice about the wolves ;-) I hope WI wolves and black bears are not interested in german ham :-)

@Murdy: yes, you're right: I meant the west-central areas of WI when I mentioned Buffalo, etc.