Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
German hunter in WI >

German hunter in WI

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

German hunter in WI

Old 11-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Tati, if you shoot any deer it is a real good start. I think you can go on topozone.com but not sure. You can no doubt call Milwaukee Map service and I'm sure they will take a credit card and tell them where you want to hunt, they will send them I'm sure. Your Volvo will work good if you keep it on the roads but stay off the logging roads. Have a good time and get back to us so we know what you saw. It ain't for everyone but it will be something you won't forget. Remember though , it is a tough physical and mental hunt. Ya might not see a deer at all but you will see unbroken woods where you can go in several miles between roads. You won't see much for hunters by Monday afternoon neither.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Spike

Hi guys!
Thanks again for all the advice you gave which were really helpful! Finally we ended up hunting the Northwoods in Bayfield county. We stayed in a small camp with some nice cabins with lake view.
Due to different reasons we couldn't get up there before monday evening so we missed opening weekend. We got some good map material from the WDNR and also de National Forest administration. Everybody was very helpful and friendly.
The first few days we spent more scouting and looking for interesting spots. From the hunting point of view this wasn't very effective due to the dry leafs and branches. Everyone -especially deer- must have heard us from miles away. Although we saw a couple of hunters in the area, we didn't run into other hunters too often. Surely we picked the places to scout carefully considering car and human tracks (which was easy due to the snow that had fallen during opening weekend).
From wednesday on we had the impression that the greater part of hunters had left to spend Thanksgiving with their families.
After having found an interesting area of approximately 5 square miles which included a couple of lakes partially connected by creeks, a couple of swampy areas some old oak stands and some younger stands with pines and beech as well as few maple trees we concentrated on this particular area.
As anticipated by a couple of forum users we didn't see much at first, but according to the numerous deer tracks and the droppings we knew that deer were around. As posted in this thread before: hunting up there was physically but also psychologically demanding and sometimes after being out there for hours without even seeing a deer you start wondering what you're doing wrong...
Finally I managed to shoot a buck fawn on saturday morning.
So, overall it was a great week and we did fall in love with the Northwoods! We'll try to be back for next years gun season - this time hopefully a couple of days before opening weekend in order to do some proper scouting as well as be there for kick off.
Thanks again for your advice and many greetings!

Last edited by Tati; 11-29-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

That buck fawn is a trophy. It takes days to get a deer up there. My son and I hunted 5 days before we saw a deer, then 4 deer Wed. eve. He passed on a doe and the nubby that's been hanging around the cabin all fall.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Spike

congrats on your first WI gun deer!