HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Virginia rut??
Thread: Virginia rut??
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 10:57 AM
VA5326
Typical Buck

Typically the rut in Virginia usually falls between the 1st and 3rd week of November. Look for it to heat up anywhere in that time frame. I know it's a general statement but you have to keep your eyes and ears open and check back in here (and other forums) and listen to the chatter around your neck of the woods. Some of the best intel you can get is when the deer hit-by-car rate goes up above average. Look for dead deer along the side of the road. Chances are if there are dead deer along the road every mile or so then the rut is probably on (those in NoVa disregard: ) Also, another place I get intel from is other hunters in my area. Stop by and talk to them, most guys will let you know what they're seeing, just not exactly where they're seeing it. More times than not, when the rut in full gear, there won't be any question about it. The woods has a tendency to come alive. This year I'd put my money on the 2nd and 3rd week of November. This is the first time in a long time where the general firearms opener has not started on the second Saturday in November. Giving the deer an extra week of ML season may actually let us see a really good rut in full swing this year.

VA

Last edited by VA5326; 10-25-2011 at 10:59 AM.