HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - meeting with a couple VA Game Wardens
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mackesr
Just for some clarification, there are a lot of Va. hunters who dog hunt as well as stand hunt during the archery and black powder seasons. Many of us are also for Sunday hunting as well. I know the Va. dog hunters assoc.is against Sunday hunting, but they are just a small segment of the actual dog hunters out there and most that I speak with are all for Sunday hunting. Maybe one day.......
+2 there are many guys like myself who hunt with dogs, and still are in favor of Sunday hunting. I also don't support the VA. Dog Hunters Association, but that's beside the point I guess.

I've found that a lot of the guys in our group of guys that hunt with dogs are in favor of Sunday hunting, but there are some that aren't and are dead against it. I've also been surprised at how many people I've talked to that are against Sunday hunting, and while some of them are dog hunters, quite a few of them are stand hunters also. Reading on here, I'd think that the majority of people are in favor of Sunday hunting, mostly because most of us are. However, in talking to people in the real world, I've found a lot of guys oppose it, a lot more than I'd have expected, and I also know several guys who I wouldn't have expected to oppose it, that do. Like I said though, it's not just dog hunters opposing it, and quite a few of the ones I know that oppose it don't hunt with dogs. To be fair, most of them seem to be older guys that are fairly set in their ways. Unfortunately in our area many of these guys are also major land owners, and have already told us that if it does pass, that they will not allow hunting on their land on Sunday, and if they catch anyone hunting on Sundays on their land, that they will lose permission for any hunting from them. I'm not sure if they would be as strict as they claim now if it really does pass or not, but they are pretty set on the idea that no one is going to hunt on their land on Sunday, and since they are the property owners, us that want to use their land do have to respect this.

That said, I hope that it does pass next year, and it seems to be gaining support as we go on.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 10-21-2011 at 12:50 PM.