HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 12 'The Bone Crushers'
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wallhangr
Started off Sat am with some movement about 50 yds to my right, tickled the sheds a bit and a wide 8 pt showed himself but did not present a shot. Nothing Sat night.

Then this morning I was set up in an oak flat on a rub line. About 8am saw something to my left. Didn't think he was much until he put his head down and turned in my direction. He came straight down the path that would put him 20 yds in front of me. He stopped right behind 2 trees just before my window and I drew back - and held forever. Finally let down and waited for him to move again. He stepped into my window, I grunted, put the pin behind his shoulder and squeezed the release. Unfortunatley I did not move my leg far enough to the left and the cam caught my leg and the bow climbed up and the arrow sailed well over the buck probably to the next ridge. The 10 pointer jumped a couple yards, looked around and headed on down the trail.

I had to be seated for the shot, otherwise I didn't have a window. I had been resting the bow on my leg while I was drawn for so long and knew that I had moved it off before I took the shot, just not far enough. Would have been the biggest deer I've taken with either a bow or rifle. I sat there in disbelief for about half an hour, then shook it off. I've got 5 days off right after Halloween....
Been out of pocket for a while. Man, that's tough brother. Sorry it didn't work out. As for me, I've been hunting hard but haven't even seen a buck yet. For now they are still either moving at night or just on the days that I'm not out there. I did manage to get a doe weekend before last, but like I said - I haven't seen a single buck during daylight hours. This is by far my worst year ever... so far. It'll get better.