HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Revolvers for Deer
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 PM
A11en
Typical Buck

Can't seem to get Photobucket Uploader to work today, so I can't post the pic. However, In 2006 I set out to harvest a deer with my Taurus M44 stainless 44 Mag with open sights. I was shooting 180grain federal hollow-points.

I ended up shooting a small 4pt buck on public land. I was on the ground and the deer was 30 yards away. The 6.5inch barrel was ported and when I shot, I saw HUGE muzzle flash and my ears hurt like nothing I experienced before (no time to put in ear protection). Due to the flash, the deer just disappeared. I didn't see where it went. Turns out it dropped in its tracks. The shot was just behind the shoulder and a little high. The bullet did not exit and there was not a drop of blood. It was a good thing it didn't run, or I'd never have found it.

Although I was excited about my accomplishment (handgun deer from the ground), I sold my revolver that same year. Although effective, I'd rather use something with more energy and I never want to shoot a ported handgun without ear protection. My hearing was off for several weeks. I'm not sure I every got back to 100%