Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Revolvers for Deer

Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Spike

Default Revolvers for Deer

Going to give revolver hunting a go this year. Anyone have any pictures of deer they have taken with a revolver? What rounds are you using?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Can't seem to get Photobucket Uploader to work today, so I can't post the pic. However, In 2006 I set out to harvest a deer with my Taurus M44 stainless 44 Mag with open sights. I was shooting 180grain federal hollow-points.

I ended up shooting a small 4pt buck on public land. I was on the ground and the deer was 30 yards away. The 6.5inch barrel was ported and when I shot, I saw HUGE muzzle flash and my ears hurt like nothing I experienced before (no time to put in ear protection). Due to the flash, the deer just disappeared. I didn't see where it went. Turns out it dropped in its tracks. The shot was just behind the shoulder and a little high. The bullet did not exit and there was not a drop of blood. It was a good thing it didn't run, or I'd never have found it.

Although I was excited about my accomplishment (handgun deer from the ground), I sold my revolver that same year. Although effective, I'd rather use something with more energy and I never want to shoot a ported handgun without ear protection. My hearing was off for several weeks. I'm not sure I every got back to 100%
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

I hear that......lol nice... and thanks for sharing...for deer, I'll stick to the 30-06.....
Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Mt.Man
I've taken 6 N.Y. whitetails with a handgun. 3 (two 4 pointers and a doe) with a 357mag and 3 (one spike and 2 does) with a 44 mag. Both were Ruger Blackhawks with open sights. I would suggest at least a 6" barrel. I used factory 158gr jhp for the 357 and 240gr jhp with the 44. None of the bullets past thru the deer. Longest shot was about 60 yds and most ran 35 to 50 yds.
Ear protection is a good idea but I found it bothersom for me when in the field. With my eyes getting older I found that I need to use a scope on my hunting handguns.
I wish you good luck at handgun hunting.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mt. Man,

I've carried an Interarms Virginia Dragoon in .44 Mag many times. I've yet to get the opportunity to Harvest a deer with it, but maybe this year I'll have the chance. I'm comfortable shooting to 45-50 yards with it on a deer, if the deer is holding still. This revolver is pretty heavy, but I don't mind carrying it.
I don't remember what I'm shooting out of it, and I'm at school and can't go look right now. All I know is that it's a 240 grain HP. I shoot the same thing out of a lever action. I have taken deer with that and It was a double lung hit, the deer went about 25 yards after being hit.
Good luck this year, I enjoy carrying mine and can't wait to get one with it
-Jake
Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Great post Bucktail, I think you've just convinced me to pursue a doe a little harder with the Revolver this year, I want some pictures like that!
-Jake
Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Spike

Great pictures. I'll be using my S&W .357 with 6 1/2" ported barrel (yes it's loud!). Was going to try the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. Can't wait.

Keep the stories and pictures coming
Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Not a deer hunt, but something I enjoy doing, especially late season when all the leaves are off.
-Jake
Attached Thumbnails Revolvers for Deer-lateseason.jpg  
Old 09-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Spike

looks like a good time
Old 09-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thems some sweets pics there BuckTail!!! Could never tell you like SS wheelguns and glass!!!!!!!! I have a S&W 686 in 357 and a S&W 460. I have a Smith Perf. 500 and got rid of it. Just didn't care for the feel. I love the .460 That .500 350grn XTP is a STOMPER!!!!! On both ends!!! It will leave a slickhead feeling downright unloved!!!!!