HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Omega Barrel Floating
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Crowkilla
Fork Horn

Default Omega Barrel Floating

I have a couple quick questions on suitable materials to use for floating a barrel that I hope you guys can help me with. Sabotloader, if you would chime in on this I would greatly appreciate it.

I shoot a TC Omega Z5, which has one of the infamous pastic stocks. The forearm runs flush with the barrel for the full length of the forearm and it drives me insane.

I did a search on "omega torque" (originally thought the problem was inconsistent lbs/in in my action screws) and resurrected this jewel of a thread by sabotloader http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...-weakness.html. Quick fix #1 explains that free floating the barrel may provide some consistency in POI and you also mentioned that you used Teflon shims cut from your wife's cutting board for your shims to float the barrel.

I have two questions:

First - In hindsight, have the Teflon shims performed satisfactorily? I would like to float the barrel of my Omega and I was wondering if Teflon worked okay or if I should use a metal shim?

Second - Is it okay to float the barrel without bedding the action? Must these two procedures be performed at the same time or can I go ahead and float the barrel now and bed the action later on when I have more time allowance?