HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Overgrown logging roads
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

Well these areas hold animals.. No question I know cause I hunt them..Moose is my favorite to hunt..
I hunt deactivated areas.. Lots.. The reason, nobody else does..
When I say deactivated it's just that.. Roads overgrown, 10th deep by 10 foot wide ditches, every hundred meters, out, culverts taken out and you beat your truck to crap.. We don't go into the bush to drag our moose out.. That too easy... Been there down that too many times.. My 2 week hunting trips were done in less than 24 hours..
Now we make it harder, we call our moose onto the middle of the road... Yep.. We sit in the middle of these roads, and call..
They do respond back and you can here these bulls walking toward us and around us.. But you need to do everything right for these animals to walk right out of the thick stuff to get walk into an opening..
We do have success, we manage to take 4 bulls a year doing it,
but it does take alot longer to kill them..
Yeah these areas hold alot of animals, but as far as success goes, it all depends on your method..Don't do alot of walking, they will smell and hear you a mile away,
find a crossing, and get wind in your favor, sit and call..
But remember, animals will avoid openings at all costs, especially when it's just a sound and no sight.. You will hear alot of action,
it's seeing them and getting a clear shot that is tougher..
Number one rule, pay attention to squirrels.. They can be your best friend, when alerting you to animals, and your worst enemy at giving your position up.