HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - H&r .243
Thread: H&r .243
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
HTM, when you go looking for negatives. You usually find them.
Considering that there are literally tens of thousands of these rifles in the hands of shooters, I think a few problems are to be expected.
The simplest fix to the jamming shells in these rifles is to clean the chamber, and stop using old shells.
It's not that I was looking for negatives. I don't like the gun to start with, and I wouldn't have bought it just because I think it's expensive for a single shot, however, I wasn't expecting or looking for reliability issues with them. When they started having one after another I got online and found that a ton of other people are also having these same issues.

They weren't using old shells, and the chamber was clean. I can't tell you about the huge amount of people online I saw posting about this same issue, but I can tell you about this particular one. These rifles are just pieces of junk, and it's as simple as that. When you go to the Graybeard forum, even the guys that love them are constantly talking about how to tweak them, or modify them just to make them work reliably and shoot halfway decently.

IMO at the $300 the cost new, there just are so many better options. You could get a Savage for $400 and not have any of the negatives these things have, and is a great rifle all the way around. Or you could get the Stevens 200's for the same price as these or less, and while you wouldn't have the accu trigger, you'd get a much more accurate gun without a ton of design flaws. I just don't see what could be an advantage to these guns over one of those. Price certainly isn't an advantage, accuracy certainly isn't an advantage, durability certainly isn't an advantage, and being able to have decently quick follow up shots certainly isn't an advantage. I just don't really see a single pro to these rifles, and from looking in this thread alone you can tell accuracy is a big issue.

I've used a lot of products out there that were exceptional, and even some I went into not liking, and they were so good they totally made me do a completely flip, and make me a believer in them, however these rifles are certainly not one of them.