Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

H&r .243

Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
You have to kidding. You can clean the chamber of a turd all you want and it's still a turd. You need to shoot a few rifles and then come back and comment when you have learned anything at all. Instead of sconnyhunter, you are now grasshopper. (grasshoper means you don't know chit)

GO back to hunting Duck's "grasshopper". You "might" be OK with that.
HTM posts these three page opinions with little evidence to back up anything he says. Other than what others on some other forum have said, or was it his buddies uncles nephew, I Forget how convoluted his "evidence" is.

Last edited by sconnyhunter; 09-10-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
GO back to hunting Duck's "grasshopper". You "might" be OK with that.
HTM posts these three page opinions with little evidence to back up anything he says. Other than what other on some other forum have said, or was it his buddies uncles nephew, I Forger how convoluted his "evidence" is.
No, it's what expereince I've personally had with that gun. Just because I'm shooting a buddies gun doesn't mean I don't get to experience it. I personally have experienced these issues while shooting his gun as well as him experiencing them. I don't think I need to own one to see these issues, and I certainly wouldn't buy one after using his. I've probably shot that thing more than he has as when we have been to the range together we sometimes swap guns just to shoot something different.

Then I go online for him since he doesn't have a computer, and do a search and find hundreds of other reports of these exact same issues, so it makes me realize that this isn't an isolated event that is only happening to this gun. Since I've seen these problems first hand, and others are having the exact same issue, I think that's fact enough to know that it's a problem with these guns.

Not to mention have you ever even shot one of these guns? In your first post in this thread you said they had a good reputation (which they often don't), but you didn't mention anything about shooting it. Heck, looking back at your posts, it doesn't seem you know much of anything about shooting since most of your posts in the last few months are in the politics forums, or statements like how a .308 will leave you under gunned for bear. When you start contributing something useful to threads, or personal experience maybe I will start listening to you. As it is you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

If you don't like my opinion which obviously you don't, don't read it, and don't post complaining about it unless you know what you are talking about, and have facts to back up your side. I can back up what I said with many many documented complaints to back up everything I've said in this thread as being a very common issue with these guns, even from guys that like them that have had to fix these issues.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 09-10-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry HTM, all I heard was blah blah blah.....Politics is where I find the most useful and interesting conversations.

The .308 is under gunned for the big bears (grizzly's, polar bears). Though you already know that, don't you. I would gladly use it for a black bear, and have suggested as much in another thread.

I have shot a H&R it was a decent little gun for what it was.
The majority of my 20+ years of hunting experience has been with Ruger rifles (.308, .30-06, 7mm), and dbl barrel shotguns ( over under and side by side). Though I do own a Franchi, and have owned a Mossberg 500c, and an 835, as well as a Bennelli Nova.

I too enjoy shooting different guns, and have swapped with friends as well, while at the range.
Got the shoot the DPMS .308 prototype before it went into full scale production, shortly after they bought Del-Tone\ Luth range in St.Cloud, MN.

So, before you go falling all over yourself to be the pot calling the kettle black. Consider that many of us simply want short answers that aren't founded in what you read on another site, or heard from a friend.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not what I found on another site or heard from a friend. It's what a friends rifle did when I shot it, as well as seeing it do it while he shot it. Then secondly it was what I found on another site when trying to see if it was a common issue, or if he just got a bad one.

I'm sorry, but if I wrote up a short post like, "these guns are total pieces of crap", it would do one of two things. Either leave people wondering why I said that, or leave people thinking I've probably never shot one, and have no reasons to think it sucks.

Instead I'd much prefer to write a detailed explanation of the problems they have that I know about, and anyone seriously wanting to read reviews on the product they are asking about will read it. If you aren't going to read it, honestly I'm not too worried about it, however some people will read it.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Some good- Some bad!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Just about every hunter here in MS has an H&R Handi Rifle in either 45-70 or 444 Marlin due to it being considered a "primative weapon" Most of these guys bought them 4 or 5 years back when they changed the law to make "primative weapons" any Single Shot Break Open rifle patented before 1900 in a 38 or larger caliber (now since changed to 35).. But of all those guys that bought the H&R to get a few more extra weeks of hunting have liked thiers so much that they use them most of the season.