HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - H&r .243
Thread: H&r .243
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 01:28 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

I have never owned one of these luckily, but I have lots of experience with one, and I couldn't recommend it to anyway. A friend got one for his daughter in .243. Actually his was the NEF, but they are essentially the same. He traded another rifle for it, and the fact that he traded a $650 gun for it aside, the gun is a POS and that's the nicest way to put it. His daughter hates it and didn't want it in the first place, but for some reason he refused to listen to her and insisted he knew what was best for her.

When they first started shooting it, the action would randomly kick open after a shot and eject the spent shell right in your face. They gave it a thorough cleaning, and it did it some, so they messed with it some more, and finally got it to stop doing this, at least for right now. I don't really trust it as it's only been shot 35 times or so since they got this issue sorted out. I did a google search on this issue to see if I could come up with ideas for them, and it was one review after another saying that theirs did this, so obviously it's a very common and very serious issue. The best fix seemed to be to keep the bolt face completely dry, and to hope it didn't do it.

So that issue aside, the second issue this one had was that sometimes fired shells would stick in the chamber and you would have to take a cleaning rod and knock them out. This started happening every few shots and nothing they did seemed to fix it, so they sent it to a gunsmith. He claimed that he measured the chamber and that it was cut too shallow for SAAMI spec, so he ran his reamer through the chamber and cut it deeper and claimed it was fixed. He sent it back, and the first few rounds test fired of it worked fine, and then it started doing it again, just not as often. A Google search on this issue to see what to do about it reviled that this was also a very common problem, and people had done everything from polishing the chamber to spending it back to the factory for repair, and I've yet to see anyone that really had a solution to this. I found several guys that said their solution was to sell theirs, and others that said their solution was to carry a cleaning rod to the stand with them to knock stuck casing out should they need a second shot. A few guys also said on these older ones they cut a notch into the bolt face so they could get a screwdriver or knife behind the rim of the casing to get it out. Apparently the new ones have this spot as this is NEF/H&R's fix for this issue, since they obviously don't actually know how to fix it.

With those two issues along which are very common, I don't understand why anyone would buy one of these things. Especially for the $300 they normally sell for. You can get a much better much more accurate bolt action for that price, that will last you a life time instead of a single shot with a ton of problems and accuracy issues.

That said for the $150 you can get one for, it's a better price, but I still wouldn't give $150 for one either.

Onto the accuracy, there are tons of complaints about this online too, but this is one area where this one seems to be decent. 2" groups or so seem about normal with factory Winchester 100 grain Power Points. My buddy tells people it shoots one hole groups, but when he has shot it, it's not done that, and I've shot quite a bit of the rounds through it that have been through it, and 2" is about what it will do. I did try a handload that I shoot in my .243 that it loves, and I surprisingly got groups around 1" or just over. It's not accurate by any means, but this one isn't as bad as the ones some people got. I still don't see the advantage to this for the $300 they normally go for when you can buy a $400 Savage bolt action that will shoot sub moa groups, and not have all of the other issues.

The trigger is the next issue lots complain about. This one is heavy and not exactly smooth, but it's not horrible like some of them are. It's just not good by any means.

All in all, I just don't see a single positive thing to these rifles, but there are lots of downsides. It seems like everyone buys these things for their kids to start out on. To me, I'd rather my child start out on a decent rifle and something they will enjoy instead of something that will give them constant problems, and if they do manage to enjoy hunting, I will have to replace in a year or two anyway when they get tired of a single shot. My feeling is if I wouldn't use it, I wouldn't expect my kid to. It amazes me how often I see kids with cheap rifles like this, and $20 scopes, while the parents are using very nice rifles with very nice scopes.

I just can't recommend this thing, but if you do buy it check out Gray Beard forums. If you read around on there you will see pretty much all of these issues and more listed, but yet some people out there still seem to like them and claim with tweaking you can have these issues not show up as frequently. To me I'd rather just have a quality gun.