HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have we lost focus?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
gonewest
Fork Horn

I think everyone has made very good points and I agree with most of them. But I have hunted now for 40yrs and to me what changed it the most was advanced technology. Back when I started nobody bowhunted NOBODY. Then came the compound bow. This is the biggest change in hunting by far. Deer hunters used to hunt small game till the gun season then take the week off and shoot the first buck they saw and wait till the last day or so and shoot a doe. Everyone was happy. And there were alot of big bucks shot and like what was mentioned nobody knew how to score a deer. It was how many pts and what was the spread and weight. Now I don't want to sound like I am against bow hunting cause I'm not. But here comes the mid 70's and the compound and everyting changed. My gramma had a farm and we hunted it and so did the neighboors and we hunted theirs. We could go about anywhere after opening day. But as the bows got better everone wanted a stand with baitpile and then came the no tresspass signs and then the attitude well if I can't hunt your I'll post mine. Then everyone wanted and bought a 40-80 acre peice so they had a stand and bait to hunt. Then came all the videos and mag about throphy hunting. Some want to use QDMA and others don't. Its a big mess. But I do feel the seasons are way to long. Back when I started the big bucks had a chance to breed. No they have to get by a youth hunt that kills alot of mature buck in bachelor goups still very easy to pattern and the early bow and the rut during bow. Ask a breeder you need to breed the best to the best. But in a nutshell we all need to get toghether and get along. I go out west when I can because I like the style of hunting and lack of hunters. I throphy hunt where I think they are. I still hunt MI for the hunting camp and stories with relatives and friends but I know the chance of a big one are not good but I still have as much fun as going out west or Canada. The only reason I go west is to hunt more. Where this will end up is a big guess but we have to appreciate the fact we can still hunt!!!!!