Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have we lost focus?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a trophy hunter if that is what a hunter is looking for in their hunting experience or shooting a smaller legal buck/deer if that is what a hunter is looking for in their hunting experience. The problem lies when one looks down on the other. Unfortunately it is usually the trophy hunter who looks down on the non-trophy hunter. Not always but I see this more than the meat hunter looking down on a guy who hunted 1 buck for 4 years before finally shooting it. It is personal preference and no one else's business.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Amen brother, glad to swse someone else think abotu thngs like that. But, I suspedt the "enjoy ment of ehy chase is not appreciated until fetr we hae ane a few orselves.

fo me - it is outwitting abuck, or patternig him, and then being in a spot where he walk by me at 15 yards, and maybe I let him go - so i can do it again, becuse I'm doing research. Thsi i s fun... and rewarding. Take a photo, it looks just as good on the wall.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

TR why are your so called articles checked for spelling and not your posts.

Last edited by deerdust; 09-11-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hey Gonewest,

I was out there long before the compound. Back then if you stopped at a hotel during rifle season for a sandwich and beer and mentioned bow hunting, it was likely you would get your butt kicked by a crowd of rifle hunters. Christ they hated bowhunters! Then came the compound bow and a lot of those same guys found an easy way to kill a big buck. Suddenly everybody "used to bowhunt" and they were going to start again. Yeah, you are right, it really brought the slobs out. There was probably more slob hunting, and snob hunting years ago then today. The difference is now arrogant, sloppy, borderline legal behavior is accepted and not frowned on. I hunt strictly land open to the public so I really don't know too many "Trophy Hunters". The Trophy hunters I have run into are mostly BS'ers and usually doing something right on the border of legal. Years back I was checking fox traps and I caught a well known Outdoor Writer doing something illegal. It was just like Gonewest said. He moved in, owned almost no woods, posted it, and then when he could not entice a deer to his property with baiting(illegal then) he tried baiting on other peoples property. Yeah, things have gotten worse.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gonewest
TR why are your so called articles checked for spelling and not your posts.
"so called articles" Do you expect someone to answer you when yo are deragotroy or malignting about them? Is that you way you treat all p0eople you do not know? NOt exactly of on the right foot.

There is a good reason. I'll answer you if you really want to know and are polite about it. I expect you didnt' really want to now.

May God bless you,

T.R.