HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have we lost focus?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 AM
huntrfishr
Fork Horn

I view hunting as a one to one encounter of the hunter and the prey.
I do not give a hoot to what others say about what I shoot as long as I am within the legal limits of the hunting laws.
I encourage others to set their own goals as what they should hunt.
I encourage the inexperienced to try to get one on the first opportunity and the more experienced to aim for what might be beneficial to the total health of the prey(example shooting the smaller one of the 2 animals of the same age would preserve genetics of the bigger one).
I view trophy hunting as beneficial if it benefits the population of the herd like taking old bucks and giving the younger healthy bucks the chance to bred.
But to take an animal without consideration to the total herd is senseless.
If not aware of the population dynamics of your herd you might be just taking down the best breeder of your local herd, kind of killing your best breeding bull in a beef farm.
In our area where we have too many does compared to bucks the sensible thing is to take the lesser does out and leave the biggest and healthiest ones to bred.
Any game animal can be a personal trophy to someone. It's a personal choice.
But knowing the makeup of your local deer population and taking out a particular animal for the purpose improving total herd health is to me proper trophy hunting.
To someone that is only concerned with scores, I would say this, some pictures of deer have impressed me more than those dead mummified heads on the wall.
My 2 cents....