HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Taste of antelope
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
pointedsnake
Spike

Smile preparing and cooking antelope

I have been hunting and eating antelope for 8 years and have found the best process to handle and cook this game. Many people complain that the meat is very gamey. NOT SO if you do it right. First of all a one shot kill is best if you can do it. Carcass preparation is critical in having good tasting meat. I always skin and quarter the animal imediately, keeping urine, dirt and hair off the meat. Put it in a game bag and get to a place where you can de-bone, wash, trim and dry the meat. I then cut it up and place it in two quart zip lock bags and get it on ice, above and below the bags of meat. I strive to get this done within 2 hours of the kill. When I get home--usually within 24 hours, I trim the meat of sinew and connective tissue and remove any further debris or contamanents I may find. I then wrap it in plastic wrap first and then in heavy butcher paper. I had 10 month old back strap last night and it was great. I also usually marinate in a combination of of soy sauce, black pepper, worchestishire and garlic. Cook it fast on the grill at high heat, deep fry or pan fry to medium rare. Enjoy!