HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - WOW! What a boat ride!!
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Warren,

Thanks for the info. I took my brother in-law with me yesterday as he says he knows the water pretty good. He grew up in the area we were fishing in. So I got him to go out with me. Even though we had marked a lot of fish we came up empty again. He also told me that after all the trawlers drag the place back in the 70's and early 80's the fishing has never been the same. He was surprized to find out all the herring are back in the bay now. He was also surprized at were I had been marking a lot of fish at. He wanted to mostly catch a good feed of mackeral so I made sure he did before we got back.

The fish I have been marking he told me is were they catch a lot of halibut so we have no idea what they were again. I did have so pretty heavey hits that I missed. They were down around 170 feet of water. It was a great day out any ways and we saw a whale going by us as well as plenty of seals. I also saw something come flying out of the water just above the old sow. We do not have any idea what it was though for sure. It was huge maybe 12 to 14 feet long and gray on the back and all white on the underside. I am thinking maybe a shark as we could not hear it blow any air and those harbor dolphins are darker than what that was. There was a lot of current where it jumped out of the water at. So who knows what it was though it was neat to see. We had traveled nearly 27 miles down into the bay.

On the way back up I had bumped a ledge and did some damage to the prop I will be needing to get repaired when I put the boat away for the winter. I can still use it for another month or so as it is right now. We also saw what I am thinking was some huge strippers hitting the water in closer to shore by a couple of sandy coves. The water was spraying up into the air pretty high and to me that is what it looked like. Years ago a 45lber was caught on the Canadian side of this area. Unfortunately this week I will be working the night shifts straight threw until Saturday then back in on Sunday day shift. So it will be a while before I can get back out there. I am thinking about going after those fish jumping that looked like stripers for now though. Then if I can boat one I will try the other fish again.