HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who's making 6 MM Remmies these days?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
fritz1
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RaySendero
JMM,

I assume you would not consider the 6mm Rem unless you reload.

So...If nostalgia is what your after with the 6 Rem then go for it! If performance is what you want I see dies available for the 6/284. 6-06, 240 Wby and the 6/300WSM - Have you consider one of these cartridges?
If you look at the balistics of the 6mm Rem. and compare to the others, you will see that the 6/284 is identical on velocities, but the 6/284 has to have a 24" barrel to acheive the same velocties that the 6mm does with a 22" barrel, the 240 Wby only beats it by 100fps using a 105gr bullet, also requireing a 24" barrel. The 6-06 is bassically the same as the Wby, also requires the use of a longer barrel to get bassicaly nothing over the 6mm, just burning more powder, and requireing you to make brass. Doesnt make any sence to me, being that ammo and brass is readily available for the 6mm and isnt for the above mentioned, and performance wise the 6mm is as good and it does it while keeping a 22" barrel. A 6mm rem is hard to beat in the 243 caliber. Bore/case capacity is about perfect. I also having been looking at getting a new CDL in the 6mm. My first hunting rifle was a Ruger 77 6mm, the old one with a tang saftey and adjustable trigger, I loved that rifle and wish I still had it, later I got a 700 BDL chambered in the 6mm, it was a really great gun that I also regret getting rid of, so I am thinking I will get one of the new Limeted Edition 700 CDL, and keep this one.

Last edited by fritz1; 08-11-2011 at 05:53 AM.