Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Who's making 6 MM Remmies these days? >

Who's making 6 MM Remmies these days?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Who's making 6 MM Remmies these days?

Old 08-07-2011, 02:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Who's making 6 MM Remmies these days?

I am looking for a new 6 MM Rem. that won't break the bank. Other than the Remington 700 CDL SF (which I have not found one of these yet!) Seems that the 6MM has all but died from the major manufactors! Sad, because its a great round!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

what's the difference between a 6mm rem & a 243win.?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

JMM,

I assume you would not consider the 6mm Rem unless you reload.

So...If nostalgia is what your after with the 6 Rem then go for it! If performance is what you want I see dies available for the 6/284. 6-06, 240 Wby and the 6/300WSM - Have you consider one of these cartridges?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks RR,so it's like a "souped up" 243.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RaySendero
JMM,

So...If nostalgia is what your after with the 6 Rem then go for it! If performance is what you want I see dies available for the 6/284. 6-06, 240 Wby and the 6/300WSM - Have you consider one of these cartridges?
I don't reload these days, but around here 6MM cartridges are available. So if I stock up on them before I go out in the boonies, availability won't be a problem. I had a Mauser 98 in 6MM Rem years ago and sold it! Wish I had it back.
I don't want any of the wildcats or the expensive Weatherbys. Really the .243 will do all I need it to do, but really "need" rarely has anything to do with anything. I have been looking for a good Model 7 or Mohawk, but around here people are too proud of them! I'll probably end up with the 700 CDL SF, I just wanted to see if there were any other new guns chambered in the 6MM, other than custom rifles.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

ruger m77 and I think the ruger #1
Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RaySendero
JMM,

If you look at the balistics of the 6mm Rem. and compare to the others, you will see that the 6/284 is identical on velocities, but the 6/284 has to have a 24" barrel to acheive the same velocties that the 6mm does with a 22" barrel, the 240 Wby only beats it by 100fps using a 105gr bullet, also requireing a 24" barrel. The 6-06 is bassically the same as the Wby, also requires the use of a longer barrel to get bassicaly nothing over the 6mm, just burning more powder, and requireing you to make brass. Doesnt make any sence to me, being that ammo and brass is readily available for the 6mm and isnt for the above mentioned, and performance wise the 6mm is as good and it does it while keeping a 22" barrel. A 6mm rem is hard to beat in the 243 caliber. Bore/case capacity is about perfect. I also having been looking at getting a new CDL in the 6mm. My first hunting rifle was a Ruger 77 6mm, the old one with a tang saftey and adjustable trigger, I loved that rifle and wish I still had it, later I got a 700 BDL chambered in the 6mm, it was a really great gun that I also regret getting rid of, so I am thinking I will get one of the new Limeted Edition 700 CDL, and keep this one.

Last edited by fritz1; 08-11-2011 at 05:53 AM.