HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Teeth Cleaning
Thread: Teeth Cleaning
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Mite
Typical Buck

Update: I got a call this morning from my vet confirming the appointment I had set for Friday. I had stayed up last night (night owl) trying to figure out how keep my finances sane. After the call, I finally decided to call around to see if they are indeed the cheapest. I didn't have much hope as their price is inline with what are listed on the internet. Then I found one vet who was close - called and asked for a ballpark estimate.

$147 to extract a tooth. Yeah, what about all the other stuff, blood panel, x-rays, anesthesia, etc.

"We don't do x-rays but the other stuff is included."

But what if her gums are infected?

"Then she will need a cleaning, that will be another $120."

Set me up an appointment. They tell me Monday will be the soonest.

I called the first vet ( Don't get me wrong; I respect them, they do an excellent job and are still my dog's vet and their prices are very competitive but $500 -$600?) Cancelled the appointment.

As I was about to go to sleep, the thought suddenly hit me; what if this vet pulls a fast one and overcharges me? The best way to prevent that is to get a hard copy estimate. Clothes back on, grabbed dog, and drove to their office. Spoke to nice lady behind the counter and told her if I could get a copy or better yet, if the vet would be willing to see my dog and write up an estimate. If the price was still in that range, I would even prepay it now.

They put me into a little room and the vet comes in and does a quick examination. Dog's tooth is basically gone but gums are not infected. Good. The rest of her teeth is actually in good shape, not much cleaning. Great!

"Is there any other health concerns you have a question about?"

Oh, her three year rabies is up.

"Ok, I'll write up a quick estimate." Comes back with paper: $176 (tax included + $14 rabies booster). They take her to the back while I paying in the front office. "We'll give you a call when she's ready"

What?! You are doing the proceedure today?

"Yes"

I picked her up and she was out of it from the after effects of the anesthesia. Drooping bloodshot eyes, barely made it out of the car. Me, I've been awake almost 24 hours but damn do I feel good.